What is JPEG? | JPEG Full Form | What is JPEG Used For And JPG vs JPEG
Therefore, in this article, we will tell you what is JPEG. (What is JPEG) We are providing all the information related to it.
Everyone takes photos, but do you know that photos come in different formats? Because of this, you may be wondering What is JPEG? (What is JPEG) Where is JPEG used? When is JPEG needed? Like you should know about some questions.
At present, the trend of taking selfies is very high. When people go to any good place, they take selfies to capture their memories, which are taken either singly or in groups. After taking a selfie, people often post it on their social media accounts and also share it with other people.
When a photo is clicked, it is saved in a certain format, of which there are many different types, the most commonly used of which is JPEG format. Even when applying online for a job in a government institute, the demand for your photo is in JPEG format only. Therefore, in this article, we will tell you what is JPEG. (What is JPEG) We are providing all the information related to it.
What is JPEG?
The full name of JPEG is Joint Photographic Experts Group. It is a type of format used to save photos. Through this format, editing support is given to the photo, along with this, color support is also given to the photo.
The photo which is taken in the Joint Photographic Expert Group appears quite clearly because the clarity of this type of photo is very high. That is why more and more people prefer to save or click photos in this format. Let us tell you that the extension of the Joint Photographic Expert Group is .jpeg.
What is the Full Form of JPG or JPEG?
JPG or JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Expert Group. JPG is an easily accessible photographic picture format created and generated by digital photography. JPEG picture formats are managed by the ISO (International Standardization Organization) and IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) joint committee (JTC 1).
It is the industry standard for processing graphic pictures. It is most typically used for filenames ending in.jpg or.jpeg. It's used to compress digital images. Because some information is lost during compression, it is a lossy compression approach.
Important Characteristics of JPG
- It can be converted into a variety of formats.
- JPEG format extensions most commonly used are jpeg and jpg, but. jpeg,.jfif, and jif are also utilized.
- JPEG compresses an image into a byte stream, which it can then decompress into an image. JPG specs outline the codec used to compress an image into byte streams and then decompress it back into a picture.
Benefits of JPEG
- JPEG file format has been in use for a long time and is easily transferable.
- JPEG file format may be resolved with practically any image management tool.
- JPEG file format is compatible with practically all hardware instruments, such as printers. Printing digital photos in JPEG format is quick and easy.
- JPEG file format is appropriate for a wide range of clear-sighted picture colors, with various color and contrast combinations.
Where is JPEG Used Most?
At present, this format is being used in most places, but Microsoft Windows Photo uses it the most because it is included under the system's default program.
Along with this, it can also be opened in a graphic program like Adobe Photoshop or in a web browser. If you want to identify this file format, then for this you just have to write .jpeg in front of the file.
When was JPEG first Used?
The group by which this format was created was created in the year 1986 and this format was presented in the same group. After that this format got approval and this format started from the year 1992. The amazing thing is that the Internet was also started in the year 1992. Most digital cameras save photos automatically.
Therefore, you have to set the format as per your choice to save the photos on your camera. If you want the quality of the photo captured by you to be of very high quality, then for this you should save the photo in JPEG format only.
When Should We Not Use JPEG Format?
Your photos are mostly saved in JPEG format by digital cameras. Similarly, many graphic programs also save photos in this format, but if you do a line drawing then you should save it in other formats like PNG, GIF, etc.
Difference Between. JPEG and . JPG?
There is no difference between these two. These two are the same. Both of these are used to store digital images. There is only one difference in character between these two.
By which all types of platforms are supported and the photo is also compressed, so that less memory is used and supports JPEG color mode. But when it is sent for printing it is converted from RGB to CMYK Color Mode.
Features of JPEG?
Know below what are the features of JPEG.
- It supports pixels at 24bit with 8bit brightness fixed for blue and red.
- A maximum of 1700000 colors are supported by it.
- This is best for natural artwork, realistic photos, and photography.
- The quality of the photo whose format is JPEG is very excellent and the photo is clearly visible.
- If the image is compressed under this format, its quality is reduced and there is no sharpness or clarity.
- Simple cartoon line drawing or simple graphic does not work properly in this format.
- It does not support file transparency, due to which you cannot place wallpaper behind this photo.
- Although there is a transparency service in other formats you do not get this facility in this format.
How is JPEG Better than RAW File Format?
In the raw file, the quality of the image is very excellent, but the size of this type of image is also very high, which is not easy to compress.
And that is why to use this type of file it has to be compressed. Therefore, JPEG file format is used instead of the raw file so that photos can be exchanged easily.
In this article, we told you what a is JPEG. (What is JPEG) and why is this photo format needed? We hope you would have understood well when jpeg photos should be used and when such photos should not be used.
Hope now you know what a is JPEG. (What is JPEG) You must have understood, and you must have known how JPEG is used, and what is the specialty of the jpeg format.